Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wednesday Words to Run By

Instead of dreading most runs, I simply went on autopilot. Running became a part of who I am, how I take care of myself. 
-From Run Like a Mother

I am far from where I would like to be as a runner. While I am proud and excited to slowly but surely be getting back into running, I know that I am still probably in the "dreading" stage, especially when it comes to thinking about moving beyond my comfort zone of 2-3 miles. Yet, when I do run, it always feels great. I have been trying to not check the time as much when I go for runs, although I do it some because anytime I do not have a pre-mapped out route by mileage, I estimate based on the mileage I want to do.

Anytime I start (or re-start) something new, shifting the focus in my life, I need to immerse myself in different ways. While reading Run Like a Mother and trying to step back into running the saying "fake it until you make it" popped into mind. I thought about how actually running is a huge piece, but doing other activities such as reading and reflecting about running and my goals have also been helpful.

I loved Run Like a Mother because of what I could transfer as being relevant to where I am at and where I want to go:

  • The need to plan and prioritize in order to find a way to weave running into my life
  • To not be too hard on myself when I am not able to stick 100% to a plan, realizing that sometimes I need to consider the big picture
  • Understanding that it is okay to sneak out in the afternoons after getting home from work, rather than staying home with my family in order to make an investment in myself and my well-being which will transfer to me being more present when I get back home
  • The benefits of pushing myself and not letting fear hold me back

Sunny, spring days are becoming more and more frequent. With my 12K getting closer and closer (May 1st), I am hoping that I will keep on approaching a day when I can say that running is just a part of my life - that I feel like I am on autopilot.

No comments:

Post a Comment