Friday, January 21, 2011

Treadmill Updates

Granted, I am not doing any long runs on the treadmill, but I am realizing that it is not as bad as I once thought. Originally, I had memories from when my dad got a treadmill when I was either in late elementary school or junior high and it gave me motion sickness, so I did not even want to try the treadmill. Then, about this time last year Sister #3 told me that treadmills had changed a lot since then and that I should give it another try. I think it also has to do with the fact that it seems like I have a higher tolerance for car rides without getting motion sickness as well, but my sister was right.

Nonetheless, with my sporadic trips to the gym, it was not like I had grown to love the treadmill over the last year. Now with three weeks of exercising consistently, I find myself enjoying the treadmill more. Tonight I eased into a comfortable pace more quickly and then clicked up the speed as I realized that it was not as much of a challenge as it had been not so long ago.

One of the aspects of the treadmill vs. the road is that in the evenings at my gym the window directly in front becomes pretty reflective, so I can see myself. There's an unexpected pleasure coming from physically seeing myself making the effort to work toward a long-term life-style change that I do not get when I am running on the road.

Though I know that I will definitely still prefer the road for longer runs, it was fulfilling to realize tonight that the treadmill is becoming less of a chore and more of an enjoyable activity. Especially during the colder months (which are much warmer than Sister #2's winter months), I will often choose the treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment